Olive Oil, Chocolate and Pistachio Cookies
These delicious craggy and crumbly cookies are a perfect picnic dessert. They have a wonderful sweet and salty flavour combination and chopped pistachio nuts give them a lovely texture. Once again, olive oil is used in place of butter meaning that they’re ready in no time at all.
Serves: Makes 16
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 150g 70% dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
- 125 ml Filippio Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Place 100g of the chocolate in a bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water or for short periods in the microwave.
- Beat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil, sugars and egg, in a large bowl until smooth, then stir in the melted chocolate. Stir in the remaining chocolate chunks and pistachios, then the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Roll into 16 equal-sized balls.
- Space well apart on 2 non-stick baking sheets and press down to flatten a little. Bake for 18-20 minutes until firm and cracked on the surface. Sprinkle with a little sea salt as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Cool slightly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely