Breads, Pizza & Panini
Olive and Parmesan Grissini
Originating in Turin, these delicious traditional Italian bread sticks won’t last long at your picnic! A great snack for dipping and, paired with a mouth-watering creamy blue cheese dip, irresistible!
Serves: Makes 24-26
Preparation time: 25 minutes + 1 hour proving
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 350g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 x 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 150ml warm water
- 100ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for brushing
- 75g pitted green and black olives, chopped
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Little sea salt
For the Blue Cheese dip:
- 75g Italian creamy blue cheese, such as dolcelatte
- 100ml natural yogurt or reduced fat crème fraiche
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Using a mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix all ingredients except the olives and Parmesan cheese, on a low speed for about 2-3 minutes until well combined. Increase the mixer speed to medium and mix for another 5 minutes. Add the olives and mix for 2 minutes. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave to prove for 1 hour at room temperature, until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, Gas Mark 6. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper. Dust the work surface heavily with flour and tip the dough onto the floured surface.
- Dust the top of the dough with flour and then stretch and roll it out gently to a rough rectangle about 20-25 cm long. Brush with the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese and a little sea salt. Starting at one long edge, cut the dough into approximately 26 strips, about 1cm wide. Place onto the prepared baking trays, spacing them apart.
- Bake the dough sticks for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden and crisp. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the dip: place the cheese, yogurt or crème fraîche and lemon juice in a small bowl and mash together with the back of a spoon, stir in the chives and season to taste with black pepper. Chill in the fridge, until ready to serve with the grissini.