These savory scones are bursting with all the best flavours of the Mediterranean. Enjoy them with a delicious Parma ham and rocket filling, or drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 250g self-raising flour
- 115g wholemeal flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herbs
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 8 pieces Italian sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g feta cheese,cut into small cubes
- 10 black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 large egg
- 200ml full fat milk
- Heat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, cayenne pepper, salt and herbs. Add the olive oil and using a palette knife, work the oil into the dry ingredients. When the mixture looks lumpy, add the sun dried tomatoes, cheese and olives.
- Beat the egg with the milk, then add all but 2 tbsp of the mixture to the bowl. Mix together with the knife until it becomes a sticky dough.
- Quickly bring it together with floured hands and turn onto a floured work surface. Shape the dough into a round of 3cm thickness.
- Cut into 8 wedges and place them on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with the reserved milk mixture, then bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer onto a wire rack until they are cool enough to eat.