Limoncello & Raspberry Zuppa Inglese
The finest raspberries in Britain, according to royal chefs, come from the Balmoral Estate in Scotland. Here we’ve combined the best of British Raspberries with Italy’s iconic Limoncello liquor to create this terrific trifle, which Italians call “Zuppa Inglese” or "English Soup”.
For the sponge
- 150g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125g Greek natural yogurt
- 150ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, plus extra for greasing
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the filling
- 100g raspberry jam
- 150g amaretti biscuits, crushed
- 250ml limoncello
- 450g fresh raspberries
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 100g caster sugar
- 750g mascarpone cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4. Grease a rectangular tin about 25cm x 16cm with Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and line with baking paper.
- Place the eggs, yogurt, Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, lemon zest and juice in a jug and whisk together until combined. Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the wet ingredients, stirring until combined and smooth. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 20 minutes until risen and golden (and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean). Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack.
- When cool, cut in half down the middle, then cut through the centre of each, spread the 2 halves with jam and sandwich together with the tops. Cut each cake into 12 rectangles, so you have 24 sandwiches. Place half of the sandwiches in the base and slightly up the sides of a glass trifle bowl. Sprinkle over one third of the crushed amaretti biscuits then pour over 100ml limoncello. Scatter over one third of the raspberries.
- Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar with an electric whisk into a thick, smooth, yellow paste. Gradually whisk in 3 tbsp limoncello and continue until you have a light mousse mixture. Whisk in the mascarpone until smoothly combined, and then whisk in another 3 tbsp limoncello.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold these into the lemony, mascarpone mixture. Now spread half of this gently over the raspberries in the bowl.
- Repeat with the remaining cake sandwiches, another third of the biscuits and drizzle over another 3 tbsp of limoncello. Finish with the remaining mascarpone mixture and decorate with the remaining raspberries and amaretti. Chill until ready to serve.