Lemon, Olive Oil & Ricotta Cake
In this lemon and ricotta cake we have swapped out butter for extra virgin olive oil, this makes the crumb moist and tender, not to mention healthier! Enjoy a slice with a dollop of mascarpone.
- 3 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 170g fresh full-cream ricotta, well drained
- 210g self-raising flour, sifted
- 70g almond meal
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 1 tbsp Amaretto (optional)
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Mascarpone to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced). Butter and flour a cake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until pale and creamy. Add the olive oil and ricotta and mix until smooth. Gently fold in the flour and almond meal, then add the lemon zest and juice, vanilla and amaretto (if using).
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for about 35–40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely for up to 30 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a plate.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve as it is or with a dollop of mascarpone.