Lemon and Almond Cake
This light and delicious lemon and almond cake is perfect for any occasion, or just an afternoon treat!
- 4 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 1 rounded teaspoon baking powder
- 120g ground almonds
- 100ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 2tbsp Amaretto liqueur
- Grated zest 2 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 25g flaked almonds
- Icing sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly oil and baking parchment line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Use an electric whisk to whisk the eggs until creamy, and thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk heads are lifted from the mixture.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder and gently fold in with the ground almonds. When the flour is almost mixed in, add the olive oil, liqueur, lemon zest and juice and gently fold in. Pour into the prepared tin then scatter over the flaked almonds. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is risen and spongy. The sponge should bounce back when lightly touched in the centre.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.