Lamb with Freekeh, Apricots and Pistachios
Freekeh is a cereal made from green durum wheat. Because it's low in fat, high in fibre and nutritionally superior to many other grains, Freekeh is often referred to as a "supergrain"! Here we're recommending it in a lamb dish paired with a wonderful blend of chewy apricots and crunchy pistachios known to some Italians as 'green gold'. Freekeh is available both dried and 'ready cooked'. We recommend the ready cooked variety for the dish but, if you prefer the dried variety, simply increase the stock measure to 250ml and cook for an extra 5 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 250 pre-cooked freekeh
- 75g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- a handful of rosemary, thyme and parsely leaves chopped, saving some for finish
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 100ml lamb or vegetable stock
- 4 lamb leg steaks
- 250g vine cherry tomatoes
- 50g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Heat half the oil in a roasting tin and cook the lamb steaks for 5 minutes on one side to brown, Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C.
- Remove the lamb steaks from the roasting tin. Add the freekeh, dried apricots, herbs and stock to the hot roasting tin and top with the lamb steaks, browned side uppermost, followed by the tomatoes. Sprinkle over half the pistachios, drizzle over and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and sprinkle over the Filipo Berio Balsamic Vinegar and remaining pistachios to serve.