Italian Sausages with Lentils
Traditionally served on New Year’s Day across Italy, this hearty dish is believed to bring prosperity and good luck for the coming year!
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g can or packet ready cooked puy or green lentils
- 1 x 400g can Cirio Plum Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 Italian sausages or any good quality spicy sausage
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
MethodHeat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and garlic.
Cook for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Add the rosemary and cook for a further 1 minute.
Add the lentils, tomatoes and vinegar and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and fresh black pepper.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan.
Add the sausages and cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat, turning occasionally.
To serve, pour the lentils into a large serving dish and top with the sausages.
Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.