Italian Sausage Rolls with Parmesan Pastry
A picnic without sausage rolls is like Italy without opera! So here are sausage rolls with an Italian twist. Try to use good quality sausages from the Deli if you can, it makes all the difference. And, as if this tasty treat wasn’t heavenly enough, we’ve added Parmesan to the pastry…
Serves: Makes 12
Preparation time: 35+15 minutes chilling
Cooking time: 25 minutes
For the Pastry:
- 325g plain flour, plus extra for kneading and rolling
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
- 150ml Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 4-5 tbsp cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 450g Italian sausages, skins removed
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the pastry: place the flour, Parmesan cheese and salt in a bowl and stir to mix. Pour in the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil and stir with a fork until a soft, ragged dough forms. Gradually add the water. Gather into a ball with your hands and knead gently on a lightly floured surface for 4-5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and slightly elastic. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, heat a tbsp of Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a frying pan, over a medium heat and add the onion and 2 tsp of the fennel seeds. Cook for 5-6 minutes until softened and slightly caramelised. Allow to cool.
- Roll the pastry out into a large rectangle, then cut into two long rectangles.
- Roll the sausage meat into 2 long sausages, the same length as the pastry.
- Start by spreading a layer of the onion mixture down the middle of each pastry rectangle, then top with the sausage meat mixture and brush one of the long edges with beaten egg.
- Fold the other side of the pastry over onto the egg-washed edge. Press down to seal and trim any excess. Cut each pastry roll into 6 sausage rolls.
- Place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray lined with baking paper, brush with the beaten egg, then sprinkle with the remaining fennel seeds and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190C/ Gas Mark 5, or until the pastry is crisp and golden and the sausage meat is completely cooked through.