Italian Easter Pie (Torta Pasqualina)
This Easter Pie or 'Torta Pasqualina' is traditionally served in Italy during the Easter celebration feast.
Different regions have their own variation, however all use eggs, which are symbolic of new life.
For the Pastry
- 300g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 150ml warm water
For the Filling
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 roasted artichokes in oil, drained and roughly chopped
- 400g spinach leaves or swiss chard, washed
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 450g ricotta, drained
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 6 large eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- To make the pastry, mix the flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Add 2tbsp of olive oil and 150ml warm water and mix to form a smooth dough. Knead for 5 minutes on a floured surface until soft and stretchy. Cover with clingfilm and set aside for 15 mintutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the artichokes and toss for a few minutes. Pile on the spinach and wilt over a gentle heat. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Put the filling mixture in a food processor with the parsley, cheeses and 3 eggs. Season well, pulse and set aside.
- Cut off two-thirds of the pastry and roll out on a floured surface to a 38mm circle. Use to line the base and sides of a deep 23-24cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Spoon in the filling. Smooth, make 2 deep indents and crack in 2 eggs.
- Roll out the remaining pastry to a 23-24mm circle and lay on top. Twist the edges to seal.
- Beat the remaining egg, brush over the pastry and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden.
- Slice and serve.