Italian Chestnut Stuffing
Sufficient for a 4.5kg turkey
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g sausages (Italian-style)
- 200g pkt peeled chestnuts (vacuum packed or frozen/defrosted)
- 2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 200g ciabatta bread, diced small
- Grated zest 1 lemon
- In a large frying pan, heat the Extra Virgin Olive Oil, then stir in the fennel and shallots. Cook over a medium heat until soft, then add the garlic. Cook for another 1 minute before transferring to a bowl to cool completely.
- Remove the sausage meat from the skins and chop or roughly break up the chestnuts. Add these and all other ingredients to the bowl and season well. Mix together using your hands. This mixture can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours until needed.
- Cook the stuffing either in the neck of the turkey (adjust the turkey cooking time according to new weight), or in an ovenproof dish for 45 minutes-1 hour until golden brown on top.
Cooks tipsIf using plain sausages, add 1tsp of fennel seeds.