Italian Butterfly Lamb
A tender and succulent meat dish packed full of rich flavour.
- 1 boned leg lamb, approx 1.8 kg (your butcher can bone your lamb)
- 3 large onions
- Filippo Berio Olive Oil
Sun Dried Tomato and Balsamic Vinegar Marinade
- 120ml Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- Open out the boned leg of lamb, discard any excess fat and lay meat out in a long flat piece. Put into a large dish. Mix the marinade, and pour over the lamb, turning it so it is covered all over. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring the lamb to room temperature before cooking. Peel and thickly slice the onions, brush with olive oil on both sides. lace the lamb on a medium hot barbecue, and cook for 20 minutes each side. Transfer the lamb to a carving board, cover with foil and stand for 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion slices on the barbecue and serve with the lamb.
Cooks tipsAsk the butcher to bone the lamb or buy a joint that has been boned and rolled, then remove string and unroll.