Italian Baked Fish with Tomato Sauce
'Al Cartoccio' means 'in paper'. This dish, which in Italy is traditionally served on Christmas Eve, is incredibly quick and easy to prepare with all ingredients placed on a piece of parchment. You can use any firm white fish, such as cod or haddock.
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 400g can Cirio Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp drained capers (optional)
- 4 x slices of lemon
- 4 x 200g pieces of cod or haddock
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes until the garlic is pale golden. Add the tomatoes, thyme and capers and season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Arrange 4 squares of parchment paper or tin foil on a work surface (25cm x 25cm approx depending on the size of your fillets). Drizzle the centre of each square with olive oil, add a lemon slice and top with a fish fillet.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the fish and gather the parchment together to form a parcel. Tie each parcel with string and place into a large baking dish. Bake the fish for 15-18 minutes or until the fish is white and cooked through.
Cooks tipsIf you don't have parchment paper, use foil instead. It's easier to use although not so nice if you're making this dish for a dinner party.