Indian Pumpkin Butter Chickpeas
This recipe is filled with warming spices and fall flavours, this chickpea pumpkin curry will be a fall favourite.
- 2 Tablespoons Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1/2 Medium Yellow Onion Chopped.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated.
- 5cm fresh ginger, grated.
- 1 tablespoon garam masala.
- 2 teaspoons yellow curry powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more or less to taste.
- kosher salt and black pepper.
- 2 cans (400g chickpeas drained).
- 1 can (400g) full fat coconut milk.
- 260g canned pumpkin.
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter (coconut oil if vegan).
- 4g fresh cilantro roughly chopped.
- steamed rice and naan for serving.
- Heat the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add the garlic and ginger, cooking another 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chickpeas and toss to coat with the spices. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, pumpkin, tomato paste, butter, and 120ml water. Simmer 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chickpeas and sauce over bowls of rice with fresh naan and additional cilantro.