Guinea Fowl, Olive and Orange Salad
With a taste halfway between chicken and pheasant, this guinea fowl recipe is packed full of intense flavor. When you want to go all out and impress, this dish will stand proud at the dinner table.
- 2 guinea fowl breasts
- 1 jar marinated mixed olives
- ½ tsp crushed fennel seeds
- 2 sticks celery, sliced finely
- 2 bunches watercress
- Preheat oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas Mark 7. Score the skin on the guinea fowl breasts using a sharp knife and lightly season them with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the marinade from the olives in a frying pan and put in the guinea fowl skin side down over a moderate heat until the skin becomes crispy. Transfer them into a roasting dish, skins ide up.
- Mix the crushed fennel seeds with the olives and sprinkle over the meat. Cook in the oven for approximately 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Thinly slice the meat and place it in a bowl with the olives, celery and 3tbsp of marinade from the olives.
- Gently toss the watercress and serve immediately.
Cooks tipsYou could use duck breasts instead of guinea fowl, but in this case there is no need to add the oil to the frying pan at the beginning as there is enough fat in the duck.