Gnocchi with Vegan pesto
These Italian-Style fluffy potato and flour dumplings are easy to prepare and the results are great. Perfect when you need to whip up a tasty dinner.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the Pesto:
- 6 large cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 140g basil
- 100g strong vegan cheese (violife Prosociano)
- 1 juice of a lemon
- 9 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 400g king Edwards or maris piper potatoes
- 100g plain flour plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of Salt
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and drop in the potatoes (whole and in skins) after around 30 mins when the potatoes have soften and can be pierced with a skewer remove them and allow to cool before removing the skins.
- Dust the table with flour then use a potato ricer to mash up the potatoes.
- The potatoes need salt to add flavour and flour to turn them in to a dough. So add some salt to the potatoes and gradually add the flour continually kneading the dough until you have created a smooth dough with uniform consistency.
- Now split up the dough and roll it into sausage shapes with a diameter of a 1 pence piece. Then being to cut the gnocchi into pieces roughly twice the width of the diameter just over 1cm.
- Each piece can be shaped by rolling the gnocchi on a string board roughly. Place the gnocchi on the board the simply roll it away with your thumb.