Ginger, Orange and Sultana Cake
This light and delicious ginger, orange and sultana cake definitely packs in the flavor! Enjoy it with afternoon tea, or as an after dinner treat.
- 1 medium orange
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 4 large eggs
- 110g dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp treacle
- 200ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 110g sultanas
- Put the orange into a pan, cover with water then bring to the boil. Simmer for 30-40 minutes until the orange is tender. Drain and cool.
- Cut the orange into quarters and remove the pulp, then roughly chop the peel and put into a blender or processor and blend to a rough textured pulp.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and ginger together.
- Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin. Heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and beat together with an electric beater until the mixture becomes thick, frothy and paler in colour. Add the orange pulp and treacle blend in to the mix and then gradually beat in the olive oil.
- Fold in the flour mixture and sultanas then turn into the prepared tin, bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a rack.