This fiery ginger cordial is a great base for a refreshing cocktail or soft drink on a hot day! To make this at home, make sure you wash out your empty bottle with plenty of hot soapy water, to remove all traces of olive oil and rinse several times, alternatively clean in a dishwasher.
- 125g peeled root ginger
- 1 small unwaxed lemon
- 800 ml cold water
- 450 g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp citric acid
- Slice the ginger into thin strips and put in a large pan. Peel the lemon with a vegetable peeler and add the zest to the pan and squeeze in the lemon juice. Cover with the water and stir in the sugar.
- Place over a low heat and stir continuously for about 3-4 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the ginger is very soft and the liquid is a thin syrup.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the citric acid. Strain through a funnel lined with a muslin cloth into the sterilized bottle.
- Allow to cool, then seal the bottle. Store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- To serve pour some of the syrup into a glass and top with sparkling or still water to taste or use to make cocktails.