- Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil (for deep frying)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 250ml sparkling water
- 1 large red onion, broken into rings
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large courgette, sliced
- 6-8 large raw prawns, peeled, tails intact
- Half fill a large deep pan or deep fat fryer with the Filippo Berio mild & Light Olive Oil and heat to 180˚C/350˚F. Mix the egg yolks, flour, salt and water together. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the batter.
- Dip the vegetables and prawns into the batter a few at a time and drop into the hot oil. Deep fry in batches for 2-3 minutes, stirring until pale golden. Drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm. Repeat until all the vegetables and prawns are cooked then serve with salsa verde.
Cooks tipsFor salsa verde, place a few sprigs each of basil, mint and flat parsley in a food processor with 2 tbsp capers, 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and blend until smooth. Add 6tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and blend again.