Fregola with Italian Sausages
Fregola is a type of pasta originating from Sardinia. It consists of semolina dough ( a high gluten type of flour), rolled into small balls and goes perfectly with Italian sausage and pecorino cheese!
- 1 onion
- 3-4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed using the side of a knife
- 100g fresh Italian sausages
- 1 red chilli pepper, chopped
- 500-600ml hot vegetable stock (approx)
- 200g Fregola Tostata
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 100g Pecorino Sardo, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onion, remove the sausage skins and crumble them into pieces.
- Heat the Filippo Berio Olive Oil in a wide, non-stick frying pan and gently fry the onion and whole garlic clove over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the sausage meat along with the chopped chilli pepper and cook for a few minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove the garlic clove.
- Pour in the Fregola and mix it well into the other ingredients in the pan.
- Cover the mixture with the vegetable stock, bring to the boil then lower the heat, cover with a lid and leave to cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Check for seasoning.
- Once cooked, stir in the chopped parsley and sprinkle over the grated Pecorino. Serve immediately.