EpiVegan’s Fiery Potato Cakes
These potato cakes have few ingredients but are perfect for a breakfast with a kick or as side dish to a variety of meals. They are also a great use for leftover mash potato (just skip the steps for making the mash potato in the recipe). This recipe was kindly shared by food blogger EpiVegan for our vegan meal plan. Click the logo below to check out Brett's website!
Serves: Makes roughly 10 cakes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 red chillies, diced
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 150g onion, diced
- 10g tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until fully cooked.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and chilli to the pan and cook on medium-low heat stirring occasionally for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat
- Add the tarragon to the pan.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them well and mash. Allow them to cool
- Add the flour and frying pan contents to the mashed potatoes, season to taste and mix well.
- Shape the mixture into small patties (should make around 10).
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat.
- Place potato cakes on the pan and fry for about 5 minutes until they turn golden.
- Turn over and fry for another 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the outside.