Extra Virgin Olive Oil Ice Cream
- 160ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil - we recommend Gusto
- Fruttato for a fruitier flavour
- 200ml whole milk
- 100ml double cream
- 140g granulated sugar
- 5 large egg yolks
- You will need an ice-cream machine/churner for this recipe
- Bring the milk, cream and sugar to the boil in a pan, making sure to stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until pale and thick and then slowly add the milk and cream mixture to the yolks, stirring as you go.
- Transfer the mixture back to the pan and keep stirring slowly over a gentle heat for 5 - 10 minutes, until it thickens into a custard. You'll notice that its ready when it coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to remove any small egg yolk solids, and then add the Filippo Berio Gusto Fruttato Extra Virgin Olive Oil and stir well with a balloon whisk.
- Let the mixture go completely cold. You can speed up the process but pouring the mixture into a metallic bowl and placing into an ice bath. If some of the mixture separates once cooled, just mix it all together again.
- For best results churn using an ice-cream machine.
- Allow 20 minutes for the ice cream to soften in the fridge before serving and then serve.
Cooks tipsTry serving with a drizzle of Balsamic Vinegar glaze.