EpiVegan’s Smoky Bean Stew
This recipe is from our friend EpiVegan's brand new cook book 'What Vegans Eat'. This hearty bean stew is not only bright and tasty to look at, but it really delivers on flavour. Perfect for a warming and high-protein supper. It's also so simple to make and ready in under 30 minutes!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, for frying
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x 400g tin aduki beans (or black beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 x 198g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 1 tsp chilli paste
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic purée
- Pinch of black pepper
- 300g passata
- Juice of ½ lemon or lime
- 1 avocado
- 4 tbsp plant-based yoghurt
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- Small bunch of coriander
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, then add the shallots, chilli and garlic and cook over a medium heat until softened.
- Tip in all the remaining ingredients, along with 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Stir to combine, then simmer for 20 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with any toppings of your choice.