Deliciously Ella’s Spiced Peanut Sweet Potatoes
Said to be Ella’s favourite recipe in the book. These sweet potatoes are roasted with ginger, cinnamon and cumin until they’re perfectly tender, then they’re tossed with sesame seeds, dates, parsley and a smooth peanut butter dressing while still warm. Great on their own but a great side too. At Ella’s deli, it’s often served with chopped radicchio, garnished with micro herbs, which is a delicious addition and adds some more colour to the dish. Try it for yourself!
*Exclusive recipe from ‘Deliciously Ella - The Plant-Based Cookbook’
Deliciously Ella The Plant-Based Cookbook is available now for pre-order.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 45g dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon black sesame seeds (normal sesame seeds also work – you’ll just need to toast them)
- salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons date syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- juice of ½ lemon
- handful of peanuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 240ºC (fan 220ºC).
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large baking tray and drizzle with the olive oil, add the spices and some salt and pepper and mix well, ensuring everything gets coated.
- Bake in the oven for 45–50 minutes, until they’re really soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the dressing, whisking everything with some salt until smooth.
- Next, place the parsley and dates in a large bowl with the sesame seeds.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, add them to the bowl with the dressing and mix everything together.
- Sprinkle with toasted peanuts, if using, serve and enjoy.