Dark Chocolate Torte
This luxurious chocolate torte recipe swaps out butter for our Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive oil, meaning it's much lower in saturated fat and completely delicious topped off with a pecan crunch. A great choice for an after-dinner treat for any chocolate lover!
- 115g Dark Chocolate (chopped roughly)
- 130g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 180ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 225g granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 130g dark chocolate drops
- 130g pecans
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Pecan Crunch: In a pan, combine pecans, sugar and salt over low heat; stir constantly, until nuts are toasted and sugar begins to melt slightly. Remove from pan and let it cool.
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease 10-inch round springform pan with olive oil.
- In small microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate drops for 2 minutes and stir well (if any lumps remain, microwave for about 20 seconds longer). Stir and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix well and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil with sugar until combined. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla. With the mixer on low, beat in the flour mixture until it is just incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chunks, spread evenly into the prepared pan. Top with Pecan Crunch.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Transfer to rack and let cool. Remove outer ring of pan. Serve and enjoy!
Cooks tipsSprinkle with icing sugar before serving if desired.
• Instead of topping with Pecan Crunch, mix 1/2 cup toasted and cooled pine nuts, walnuts or hazelnuts into the batter if desired.
• As the torte bakes, it will rise, then fall slightly. The surface may crack, giving it a rustic look.
• Whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, mascarpone or a scattering of fresh raspberries makes a great accompaniment to the torte.