Crown of Asparagus with Prawns
Every monarch needs their crown so here’s a perfect recipe for our Jubilee celebration feast: English asparagus and Scottish salmon, united in a delicious and eye-catching royal marriage of flavours!
Serves: 6 -8 as a starter Preparation time: 30 minutes, plus 2 hours chilling time Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 20 -22 asparagus spears
- 2 slices smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 175g cooked and peeled king prawns, plus about 12 for decoration
- 125g cream cheese
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon and 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
For the salad dressing
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped chives
For securing the crowns
- Long cucumber ribbons or string
- Remove any woody stems from the asparagus by bending the bases. They will snap at the point where the woody part begins. Then trim them all to the same length. Steam the asparagus for 3 -5 minutes, depending on thickness, until just tender. Drain and refresh in ice cold water.
- Heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a frying pan, over a medium heat, then add the red onion, paprika and garlic, then sauté for 3 -4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Add the prawns and toss together. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Blend the prawn mixture with the cream cheese, lemon zest and juice in a food processor until smooth to for a pâté. Season to taste.
- Place a piece of cling film on a plate, then add a 9cm chef ring, about 7cm deep. Place a piece of salmon in the bottom then add a large spoonful of the pâté in the middle leaving a 1cm border. Arrange the asparagus spears around the edge of the ring, then fill the centre with the remaining pâté.
- Thinly slice the other slice of salmon, then add the reserved prawns and salmon to the top of the crown. Chill for 2 hours.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Season to taste. Just before serving, remove the crown from the fridge, then carefully remove the cling film and the ring. Secure with string or a ribbon of cucumber. Drizzle some of the dressing over the prawns and salmon.
- To serve, allow people to help themselves to the asparagus spears and pâté and drizzle with extra dressing.