Crispelle with Honey Syrup
- 225g strong white flour
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 6 tbsp tepid milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp caster sugar for dusting
- 8 tbsp clear honey
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, add the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil and mix together with a palette knife until it clumps. Stir in the yeast then add the milk and egg. Continue to mix until it forms a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces, about the size of a walnut, shape into rounds. Place on an oiled baking sheet, cover lightly with oiled cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Heat about 2.5cm of Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil in a medium saucepan and fry the balls of dough in batches for about 4 minutes per batch until golden, turning frequently. Drain on kitchen paper then roll in sugar to evenly coat each Crispelle. Keep warm while cooking the remainder in the same way.
- Warm the honey in a small pan with the cinnamon and orange zest. Arrange the doughnuts on a serving platter and drizzle with the warmed honey sauce.