Courgette and Mint Fritters with Aioli
Courgette is as another extremely versatile vegetable with a delicate flavour and far from boring. For this recipe we’ve used them to make these light fritters paired with a delicious Mediterranean inspired aioli sauce.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
For the Aioli:
- 3 tbsp chickpea water, from a can
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio White Wine Vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 125ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 1 fat clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
For the Fritters:
- 2 large courgettes, coarsely grated
- 150g cooked grains, such as freekeh or bulgar wheat
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 300ml vegan dairy milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, for frying
- To make the aioli, place the chick pea water, vinegar and salt in a food processor and blend until combined. Slowly add the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil with the food processor running, making sure it is fully combined before adding any more. Continue adding the oil slowly until the mixture thickens. Add the lemon juice and garlic and mix thoroughly. Place in the fridge.
- Place the courgettes in a tea towel and squeeze out the excess water. Place in a large bowl and mix together the grains, spring onions, mint, chilli, flour and baking powder, then stir in the Filippo Berio Light Olive Oil and milk. Mix well and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a little Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, in a large frying pan and cook 4 fritters at a time. Add heaped tablespoons of the batter, flatten with a spatula and cook for 3 minutes each side until golden and crisp. Repeat, adding more oil as needed, until all the batter is used up.
- Serve the fritters with a spoonful of the aioli and a crisp salad.