Courgette and Lemon Cake
Although courgette may not be a typical cake ingredient, it’s a great way to enhance the texture and moisture whilst also adding extra nutrients – so what’s not to love? Made even more delicious with Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and zingy fresh lemon icing, this simple cake is perfect for a mid-morning treat.
- 2 x large eggs
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 100g caster sugar
- 120ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 225g courgette, grated and squeezed of excess liquid
- 225g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and lightly oil a loaf tin. Line the tin with parchment paper.
- Beat together the eggs, both sugars and Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil until light and airy.
- Add the juice and zest of 1 lemon, vanilla extract and stir together.
- Gradually fold in the flour a few stages at a time. Add the baking powder, bicarbonate and salt.
- Stir in the grated courgette.
- Place the cake mix in the loaf tin and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to fully cool on a cooling rack.
- When the cake is fully cooled, remove from the tin and drizzle it with icing. To make the icing: whisk the icing sugar with the juice and zest of 1 lemon and drizzle all over the top of the cake.