Colomba Cake by Carmela
This Italian celebration cake of Easter is shaped as a beautiful dove, to depict peace, love and harmony. This recipe from our friend Carmela Serano Hayes, click on her photo to find more of her delicious recipes!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 3 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 90g Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 170ml milk
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 350g 00 flour or plain flour
- 80g mixed fruit peel (Italian is preferable)
- 30g whole almonds with skins on
- Firm sugar to glaze, as required
- Colomba paper case as per photo: 750g capacity (purchase online)
- Pre-heat the oven at above to 170C (fan-assisted).
- Separate the eggs.
- Whisk the whites until they have volumized, and fluffy. Set them aside.
- Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk until pale in colour. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour in the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and milk. Continue to whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the zest (only) of both the orange and lemon. Retain the fruit and use them for future recipes.
- Spoon in the almond essence and vanilla extract. Continue to whisk until smooth.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and flour. Continue to steadily whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Fold in the fluffy egg whites.
- Spoon in the mixed peel.
- Scrape the mixture into the colomba case and stud the almonds into the top with a sprinkle of the sugar all over for good measure.
- Bake until golden and cooked through, approximately 45 minutes.