Classic Tomato Sauce
A cornerstone of Italian cuisine, a classic tomato sauce is a staple in every Italian kitchen. Not only is it much more delicious than any shop bought pasta sauce, it’s healthier and cheaper too. Made with fresh ingredients, it’s perfect for making in batches and suitable for freezing. Simply defrost a couple of hours before using
and enjoy with pasta and homemade pizza.
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 400g tinned plum tomatoes
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of basil
- Fry the garlic on a low heat with Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the basil, tinned and cherry tomatoes and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the fresh tomatoes have started to break down.
- Season and stir through 2 tbsp of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Cooks tipsThis sauce can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week. Allow sauce to cool first.