Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 120 mins
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 100g pancetta or chopped bacon
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 250g minced lean veal or beef
- 250g minced pork
- 75ml dry white or red wine
- 2 tbsp Cirio Tomato Paste
- 3 x 400g cans Cirio Plum Tomatoes
- 500g tagliatelle
Method:Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan, add the pancetta, carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Fry gently for about 10 minutes.
Add the beef and pork mince and stir continuously with a wooden spoon to break down the lumps. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the meat is brown. Add the wine and cook for a further 5 minutes to let the alcohol evaporate.
Stir in the tomato paste and then add the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer over a very low heat for at least 90 minutes. Check occasionally to make sure the sauce is not drying out or sticking to the bottom of the pan. If it is, then just add a little beef stock or water. Serve with freshly cooked tagliatelle and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.