Classic Pesto Sauce
Categories: Marinades & Dressings
- 150ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 25g pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 40g basil leaves
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 3 tbsp of the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a frying pan, add the pine nuts and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring until golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds and then leave to cool.
- Place the pine nut and garlic mixture in a food processor together with the remaining ingredients. Blend slowly until thick but not too smooth.
- Season to taste and serve tossed into fresh cooked pasta. Can be stored in a screw-top jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Cooks tipsIf you want to keep the pesto for longer than a week, don't add the cheese while you are making it, add it when you come to use the sauce. Make sure any herbs you use are dry before using them.
Use pecorino cheese instead of parmesan for a different flavor. Add some sundried tomatoes to the pesto for a fruitier flavor(150g ish). Try the pesto using rocket instead of basil or with roasted peppers (300g if in the jar or about 6/7 fresh peppers to be roasted).