Classic Burger with Caramelised Onions
The best way to improve any burger is to add caramelized onions to give a sweet and rich flavour. Don't take our word for it, this recipe makes it easy to try it for yourself!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 700g minced beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 450g onions, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Hamburger buns to serve
- Cook the chopped onion in 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil gently until softened, cool then mix into the minced beef with the Worcestershire sauce and season.
- Form into 4-6 equal-sized burgers, then cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil in a heavy frying pan, add the onions and cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes until soft. Add the sugar and cook until onions are deep golden, keep warm.
- Brush the burgers with the remaining oil, cook on barbecue for 10-12 minutes, turn once during cooking.
- Serve in lightly toasted hamburger buns with the caramelised onions and a crunchy side salad.
Cooks tipsVariations: Add 1 tbsp of sweet chili sauce, or 3 tbsp of barbecue sauce to the minced beef mixture. For an Italian flavour add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 tbsp of sun-dried tomato paste or pesto sauce.