Chocolate Orange Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 190g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 100ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- Grated zest 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 orange
For the icing:
- 75g softened butter
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- 100g plain chocolate, melted
- 25g plain chocolate, chopped
- Orange zest to decorate (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly oil and line a 20cm round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Use an electric whisk to whisk the eggs until creamy and thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk heads are lifted from the mixture.
- Sift over the flour, cocoa and baking powder and gently fold in. When the flour is almost mixed in, add the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and orange zest and juice and, again, gently fold in.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cake is risen and spongy, the sponge should bounce back when lightly touched in the centre. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, cream the butter and icing sugar together with an electric whisk until fluffy. Add the chocolate and whisk again until smooth. Spread the icing over the top of the cold cake then decorate with the chopped chocolate. Serve in wedges decorated with orange zest if desired.