Chargrilled Aubergine Antipasto
- 2-3 aubergines weighing about 700g
- Sea salt
- 100ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio balsamic vinegar
- Thinly slice the aubergines lengthways, discarding the outside slices. Arrange on a large baking tray and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 20 minutes - this removes any bitter juices.
- Rinse the aubergine slices and pat dry with kitchen paper. Reserve 3 tbsp of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Toss the aubergines slices in the remaining Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and season with black pepper.
- Grill the aubergines a few slices at a time for 3-4 minutes, turning once until both sides are chargrilled and tender. Remove from the barbecue and leave to cool.
- To serve, arrange the aubergine slices on a large platter, scatter over the pine nuts and chives, then drizzle over the remaining Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Filippo Berio balsamic vinegar.
Try a combination of aubergines, fennel bulbs, mixed peppers, courgettes and field mushrooms topped with finely chopped parsley for a beautifully colourful party platter.
Grill sliced Halloumi cheese and drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and lime juice.