Caramelised Onion and Mushroom Pissaladiere
Just over the border of Italy, in Southern France, you’ll find their take on the traditional Italian Pizza. Pissaladiere is typically made with a thicker bread dough, however for this recipe we’ve used ready rolled puff pastry to speed up the cooking time. Topped with sweet caramelised onions and wild mushrooms, this dish is perfect eaten hot or cold as a light snack or appetizer.
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 3 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- 450 g mixed wild mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 320 g pack Ready rolled vegan puff pastry
- Handful rocket leaves
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Heat half the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and thyme and gently cook for 20 minutes, or until softened. Increase the heat and cook, stirring regularly, for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the sugar and vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture has a jam-like consistency. Remove from the heat, season to taste and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, Gas Mark 6. Unroll the pastry and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Prick the base all over with a fork.
- Spread half the mushrooms on the base up to the edges and top with the onions, scatter over the remining mushrooms. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Top with the rocket and drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.