Caprese Faro Salad
Caprese is an authentic and tasty salad that originated on the Italian Island of Capri. It is a delicious combination that features the colours of the Italian flag. In the best Italian summer recipes, tomatoes take centre-stage and in this case, they’re paired with Faro, an ancient wholegrain packed with fibre and protein.
- 200g quick cook faro or spelt
- 2 x 125g balls buffalo mozzarella, roughly torn
- 400g mixed tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Pesto
- 45g fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnishing
- 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cook the faro in a pan of lightly salted water for 15-20 minutes, until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold water.
- To make the pesto, place the basil, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely chopped, then add the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and blend.
- Place the faro in a bowl with the tomatoes and mozzarella and stir in 4 tbsp of the pesto.
- Sprinkle over with extra pine nuts and drizzle with more pesto and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with basil leaves.
Cooks tipsTo save time, you can replace homemade pesto with Filippo Berio Classic Pesto.