Breads, Pizza & Panini
Caponata is a Sicilian aubergine dish made up of cooked Mediterranean vegetables, making a perfect topping for Bruschetta.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large aubergine cut into 1cm cubes
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 thinly sliced shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- 1 stick of celery thinly sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (vegan)
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp salted capers
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ bunch (15g) flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Add a large glug of olive oil into a deep frying pan and heat over a low flame.
- Add the aubergine chunks to the pan with salt and oregano and fry for 15mins until softened.
- Remove the aubergine and set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, fry the shallots and garlic over a low heat for a few minutes until softened.
- Now add the celery, tomatoes, and red wine vinegar and cook for a few minutes until some of the juice has evaporated and the tomatoes begin to break up.
- Return the aubergine to the pan along with the raisins, pine nuts, capers and sugar.
- Stir to combine and simmer for 30 mins.
- Serve on Bruschetta.
Scatter with finely chopped parsley to serve.