Calabrian Spicy Chicken
This spicy chicken recipe with sweet peppers, ripe tomatoes and fresh aromatic herbs is a delicious take on a hearty Calabrian classic. Serve with a green salad and rosemary potatoes for a fabulously tasty supper the whole family will love!
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 400g can Cirio Plum Tomatoes
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 peppers (red and yellow) deseeded and roughly chopped
- 200ml chicken stock
- 1 large chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp marjoram, roughly chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp of Filippo Berio Mild Extra Virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook skin side down for 5 minutes until golden brown. Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining Filippo Berio Mild Extra Virgin Olive oil, together with the shallots and chilli and cook over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the peppers and cook for 5 minutes until the peppers begin to soften. Add the plum tomatoes, browned chicken, chicken stock and herbs. Season with salt and black pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and serve.