Braised Leeks in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
The leek is the national symbol of Wales. It gained its status, it is said, due to the heroic actions of the first Prince of Wales, Edward the Black Prince. We’d certainly agree that leeks can be heroic, especially when cooked simply, braised in the oven and with a splash of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 5 leeks, halved
- 250ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 12 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, Gas Mark 3. Wash the leeks to remove any dirt and pat dry.
- Place the leeks, cut side down in a single layer in a roasting tin, nestle the garlic and thyme around them, then scatter over the fennel seeds and salt. Pour over the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes or until the leeks are tender. Remove the foil then cook for a further 15 minutes until the leeks start to caramelise.
- Serve the leeks warm. They are also delicious cold.