Beef, Courgette and Red Onion Gratin
A gratin is a culinary technique, where food is topped with a brown crust. This beef gratin has an almost stew like interior making it the perfect meal for a cold winters day.
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 500g beef chunks
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 300ml beef or chicken stock
- 300ml passata
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 courgettes, sliced into half moons
- 3 red onions, peeled and cut into cm thin wedges
- 4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- resh greens and new potatoes to serve
- Heat a large deep sided pan or casserole dish and add the Filippo Berio olive oil. When hot, add the beef chunks and brown on all sides.
- Add the Filippo Berio red wine vinegar and garlic and cook for a further minute or until the red wine vinegar has evaporated by half.
- Add the stock, passata, thyme and oregano bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Add the courgette and red onion and a little more stock if the mixture is too dry. Continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a large oven proof dish and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Place the dish under a hot pre-heated grill for 5 minutes or until the top is golden. Serve with greens and new potatoes.
Cooks tipsIf you want a quick cooking time, swap the beef chunks with slices of sirloin or rump steak and cook the meat for 5 minutes then add the stock and passata.