Baked Aubergine with Red Pesto
Aubergine is a perfectly versatile vegetable and is brilliant at soaking up flavour. For this recipe we've paired it with a simple but delicious red pesto. This recipe was created in collaboration with blogger EpiVegan. Check out Brett's website by clicking the logo below.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- ½ bunch of fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 roasted red pepper (jarred or fresh)
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 1 large aubergine
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Add roughly chopped basil and oregano to a pestle and mortar and bash the leaves down until darker and moist. Alternatively you can use a hand blender to make the pesto.
- Add the pine nuts and garlic to the pestle and mortar and bash and grind until a dense paste.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and grind together with the mixture.
- Add the finely chopped roasted red pepper and sun dried tomatoes and bash together.
- Now add Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and mix together.
- If it looks to oily (if oil pools in areas then add a little extra nutritional yeast and mix). Add pinch of salt and pepper (flavour to taste).
- Next halve the aubergine and carefully make diagonal incisions roughly seven each way cutting into the flesh but not through the skin.
- Drizzle remaining oil into the flesh of each half and ensure you move it around to coat evenly.
- Spoon the pesto on to each half evenly and spread, covering the flesh. Be sure to twist and bend the aubergine to encourage the pesto to penetrate into the slits.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes.