Aubergine, Tomato & Parmesan Bake
This classic dish originally comes from Sicily and traditionally includes aubergines. However, for a delicious alternative, try replacing the aubergine with slices of fennel.
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 3 firm aubergines
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 x 400g cans Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 x 150g balls of mozzarella cheese
- 40g dried breadcrumbs
- 60g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Slice the aubergines into 1cm thick slices. Rub with Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil and set aside.
- Heat a griddle pan. When the pan is hot, griddle the aubergine for about 1 minute on each side or until lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat the Filippo Berio Classico oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, garlic and dried oregano. Cook for 10 minutes until the onion is softened.
- Add the tomatoes and red wine vinegar and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put two spoonfuls of the tomato sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Cover with a layer of aubergine and then mozzarella cheese. Repeat until you have 3-4 layers and end with a thin layer of tomato sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and drizzle olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden. Serve with a crisp green salad and toasted ciabatta bread.