These delicious Neapolitan stuffed aubergines make a tasty supper dish, served with salad and some good crusty bread or a sophisticated starter at a dinner party, what’s more vegetarians will love them!
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild Extra Virgin Berio Olive Oil
- 400g can Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 aubergines
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp capers
- 50g pitted black olives
- 1 small bunch basil, roughly torn
- 2 x 125g balls mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Filippo Berio Mild Extra Virgin Olive Oil to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC (fan assisted)/375ºF/Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the aubergines in half, lengthways and scoop out the middle of each aubergine, leaving a 2cm border. Cut the flesh into small cubes and set to one side.
- Place the aubergine boats onto a baking tray, brush with a little Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make the filling, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the garlic for 1 minute.
- Stir in the reserved aubergine flesh and fry for a 10 minutes followed by the tomatoes, capers, black olives and basil. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until it becomes thick and pulpy.
- Divide the filling between each of the four aubergines and lay the mozzarella cheese over the top. Place back in the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and serve with a salad.
Cooks tipsThis can be a vegetarian option for a main course.