Aubergine and Garlic Penne
One of the most mouthwatering aromas – roasted vegetables and garlic. A tasty alternative to more traditional pasta sauces, this is a delicious way to incorporate more vegetables and nutrients into your recipe repertoire with the addition of aubergine and spinach.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 2 large aubergines, halved and flesh scored
- 1 small garlic bulb
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 75g grated hard pecorino (remove to make vegan)
- 500g penne
- 200g spinach
- 1 small bunch basil, leaves torn
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Line a roasting tray and place the aubergine halves and the whole garlic bulb on it, drizzled with 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil. Roast for 30-45 minutes until softened.
- Once cooked, scoop out the aubergine flesh and place in a food processor. Add the (peeled) garlic cloves, 50g of pecorino, season and blend until combined but not too smooth.
- Cook the penne in salted boiling water according to packet instructions. Strain the pan, keeping a cup of pasta water.
- In a large frying pan, wilt the spinach with a splash of water. When cooled, squeeze the excess water and coarsely chop.
- Add the spinach back into the frying pan with the penne and aubergine sauce. Use the saved pasta water to loosen the sauce if necessary.
- Add the remaining 25g pecorino, basil, seasoning and drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil before serving.