Stirred through risotto, griddled onto bruschetta or served simply with parmesan and extra virgin olive oil, asparagus is popular all around the world – not just in Italy. Flavoured simply with fresh herbs and mascarpone for extra creaminess, the asparagus takes centre stage in this decadent Italian classic.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 200g asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 300g risotto rice
- 75ml white wine
- 1L hot vegetable stock
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp mascarpone
- Fresh thyme and parsley, roughly chopped
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle
- In a pan of salted boiling water, cook the asparagus for 2 minutes until just tender. Drain and leave to cool. Once cooled, keep the tips of the asparagus intact and chop the stalks into small rounds.
- In a large frying pan, heat the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil. Fry the onion, celery and garlic on low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the rice, turn up the heat and stir well to coat the rice in the oil.
- When coated, add the wine and let it bubble for a few minutes to cook out the alcohol.
- Turn down the heat to medium, and begin to add the stock one ladle at a time, stirring continuously. Once fully absorbed, add more stock.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the asparagus tips, stalks and season to taste; then turn down the heat and stir in the parmesan, mascarpone and herbs.
- Check for seasoning, serve with a squeeze of lemon and a good drizzle of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.