Win all the family over with these irresistible, crispy arancini balls. The perfect use for leftover risotto and completely vegan! Best served with an arrabbiata or marinara sauce. This recipe was created in collaboration with blogger EpiVegan. Check out Brett's website by clicking the logo below.
Serves: 4 as a side dish
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- 4 cups left-over risotto (you can make fresh but let it completely cool)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp plant based milk
- 5 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp dried thyme
- Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil (for deep frying)
- Add olive oil to a large pan over a medium heat until a panko breadcrumb sizzles when dropped into the oil.
- Divide your left-over risotto into even sized balls. The balls should be about half the size of a golf ball at most (so the inside cooks through without the outside burning).
- Add the flour to a plate or on to an even surface and roll the balls in the flour. They only need a very thin coating.
- In a dish add your plant based milk and roll the balls in there to wash the flour. Again they only need just coating
- In a deep dish add the thyme, flax seed and panko bread crumbs with some salt and pepper.
- Mix this dry coating mixture and then roll the ball in there ensuring it is completely covered and then place gently in the pan. Repeat this process for all of the balls.
- Lightly fry until all of the balls are a golden brown.