To celebrate National Pizza day, we’ve put together the ultimate guide to making the perfect pizza!
When made well, a home-made pizza can easily rival that of any pizzeria… and what’s more if you follow our simple œmake ahead steps you can have a pizza to be proud of on the table, well before any delivery!
This is a really simple recipe for a pizza base and a great way to start if you’ve never had a go at making your own before.
- Mix 650g Italian 00 flour or strong white bread flour, 7g sachet of easy-blend yeast and 2 tsp salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre pour in 25ml olive oil and 50ml warm milk. Slowly add 400ml warm water and bring the dough together.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a clean, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place to rise for 1½ to 2 hours until doubled in size. Divide the dough into six balls and roll each out onto a lightly floured work surface until 20cm in diameter. (For cooking time, please refer to Pizza Margherita)
- Save time¦make ahead! After the dough has risen, knock out the air and pop the dough, into a polythene bag, seal and freeze. Alternatively to save time you could always use a packet pizza dough mix or buy a good quality pizza base “ just remember to cook for slightly less time.
THE TOMATO SAUCE
- Pour 100ml Cirio Smooth Passata into a saucepan and add 1 tsp dried oregano and 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place over a low heat and cook for 10 minutes until you have a thick sauce.
- Set aside to cool.
Save time¦ make ahead!
Make a big batch of sauce ahead of time and store in little containers in the freezer, ready to use when you need it.
- Top the pizza rounds with tomato sauce. Scatter each one with sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Drizzle over 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Put the pizzas onto pre-heated baking trays and cook in the oven at its highest setting for 8-10 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive
Everyone has their own favourite pizza toppings which is what makes pizzas so versatile but here are a few tried and tested time-honoured combinations which you might like to try!
- Mozzarella, chilli, spicy salami & black olives
- Mozzarella, parmesan cheese & prosciutto
- Mozzarella, capers, black olives & anchovies
- Mozzarella, parmesan cheese, Parma ham – sprinkle with rocket leaves after cooking
- Mozzarella, tuna & olives
- Mixed roasted peppers & Italian goats cheese